Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Gmail scare and February update

So, I was one of those 150,000 people affected by the Google glitch that you may have heard about; my Gmail account first appeared entirely empty and then my Google account itself became disabled on Sunday, meaning that I had not only lost access to my e-mail, but my blogs, photos, etc.  Fortunately things are already better and Google appears to have put back almost everything so far, so in the end it looks like no harm was done.

February, my first full month publishing, turned out to be a much better month than I'd anticipated, with 131 sales.  I am still unsure why things are so sluggish on Amazon compared to Barnes and Noble--for the entire month I only had 11 sales on Amazon, a handful on Smashwords, and the vast majority on B/N.

For March, I plan to release another novella in a different genre; more about that later, but in a nutshell I'm curious to see what effect--if any--there is on my sales when releasing work that is not strongly identifiable as "mine".  I know that many writers do quite well working in a variety of genres, but I have to imagine that the bar is set quite a bit higher for self-publishers.  We'll see...

3 comments:

  1. I had wondered what happened to your blog yesterday. Good to see that you are back up.

    Congrats on the sales count!

    On another note, I am about to release my first piece of fiction this month. I am doing it under a pen name. I am also interested to see how my work will be received under another persona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't necessarily think the bar is higher for self-publishers because honestly, most readers can't tell the difference when you have a good cover, formatting, etc.

    They're just looking for good stories at bargain prices!

    J. E. Medrick, author of Shackled

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering why I couldn't find you! Haha. (Thanks for visiting my blog, btw.)

    I'm interested in learning more about the novella(?) you've self-published! I can't seem to find more about it anywhere...

    ReplyDelete