Saturday, February 5, 2011

Kids and e-readers

This was a very interesting article in the NYT this morning.  I'd been wondering about what kind of market there was for young adult fiction on Kindle, etc., since a couple of things I'm working on are aimed at that age group.  I thought that this paragraph summed things up nicely--and by that I mean it's astounding:

In 2010 young-adult e-books made up about 6 percent of the total digital sales for titles published by St. Martin’s Press, but so far in 2011, the number is up to 20 percent, a spokeswoman for the publisher said.

"So far in 2011"?  You mean in these last not-quite-five weeks?  And this is while (as JA Konrath recently posted) e-readers still only make up about 11 percent of overall sales?  Amazing.

Aaron Niz, if I remember right, had posted a while back about how this time is like the Gold Rush.  I agree with the sentiment but in my mind I'd compare it to a land rush, and I'm just a homesteader trying to get out there and claim as big a space as I can right now so that I stand out when things really get going.

Yesterday, incidentally, was a Very Sad Day.  No sales of any kind.  This shows me two things:  my expectations have already grown so ridiculous that I think I need to sell something every day even though I've been at this for less than a month (fortunately, B/N shows one sale already this morning, so I'm set for today).  It also shows me that I need to get going on my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment